Monday 27 April 2015

April 28th - Catching Up (at the plot, in the greenhouse and the conservatory)

It's been catch up time on the plot this April. As I've been busy over the winter re-designing the garden the plot has been a bit neglected - didn't do much winter digging and as a result it's been a lot harder getting the potatoes in as I've been digging, wedding, breaking up the soil and then planting.

Anyhow, this is what I've been getting up to over the month:

3rd - Made some more leek & potato (with onion) soup for lunch, all from allotment.

Remaining seed potatoes are chitting in the utility room. Planting them in the next few weeks at the allotment.

4th - Been in the greenhouse sowing seeds. Leeks, purple sprouts, more marigolds, rosemary, lettuce & mixed salad.

Two rows of parsnips & carrots put in on top allotment.

Some of the first early potatoes I put in under glass last month were showing through. I earthed up about 10 of them.

Checked out the forced rhubarb - coming along nicely. I accidentally knocked 2 stalks off ;), it's delicious raw.

5th - I'd applied for the free wild flower seed kits from Grow Wild / Kew Gardens on behalf of the allotmentsit I'm on. I sowed a wild flower bed on daughter's bed on bottom allotment this morning and handed out lots of boxes of free seeds to fellow allotmenteers.

Three of raised beds on bottom allotment prepped this morning. Had to do some repairs to the side of one of them that was rotting after 8 years. There's a few more pieces I need to renew.

12th - Took the cover off the forced rhubarb this morning. A lovely crop - crumble here we come!

23 Abbot first early spuds put in bottom allotment this morning. Swiss chard still going from last year!

Whoops, I found a few parsnips I'd missed this evening on the top allotment.

17th - Sowed another tray of leeks as first ones didn't look like anything was happening.

Made my newspaper pots and sowed some peas in them. I've put them all in an old washing up bowl and covered it with bubble wrap.

19th - Potted on the Sungold and Golden Sunrise tomatoes at home.

21st - Most visits now I see this friendly robin. It get's pretty close looking for worms!

Another 20 potatoes in - top allotment this time, variety is Lady Christl.

23rd - Put 20 Sarpo Mira potatoes in next to the Lady Cristl. Coming to the conclusion I may have bought too many spuds, 40 more to go, phew.

I've had to keep lifting the glass on the rocket potatoes I put in last month - they seem to be growing really well - looking forward to digging them up early June!

25th - Daughter's parrot tulips in allotment looking good!

14 Pink Fir Apple & 14 Jazzy potatoes in at the allotment. Biked it up for a 4 hour stint only 12 more potatoes to put in!

At home, I'd like to put the tomatoes in the greenhouse but it's still a bit cold. They are growing well!

Only one of the peppers I sowed has germinated so I've sown some more in the same tray and added a bit more compost. Might be a bit late for them but I'll give it a go.

26th - Sowed some french beans - Cobra, some sweetcorn, butternut squash, courgettes (sunstripe hybrid and a yellow variety) in the greenhouse. There was a frost forecast so I moved them into the heated propogator in the conservatory. Both trays of leeks have now germinated!

27th - Last night I potted on some of the dwarf Aubergines that I'm attempting to grow. They are looking pretty healthy, we'll see if they actually produce any fruit. Maybe I'll have better luck in my new greenhouse!

I feel like I've nearly caught up with where I should be at this point in the growing year. Note to self: Must be more prepared next year!

No comments: