Wednesday 1 May 2013

1 May - Bean's away

Finally sowed some beans!

Every year I keep doing less and less runner beans and more of different varieties. It seems no matter how many runner's I sow, I always end up with way too many and end up giving them away so this year is no exception. I have sowed 6 Tenderstar (I won 100 in a Twitter competition), 6 White Lady, 3 Borlotti (to try), 6 French and 6 Cobra. I will probably sow some direct later this month.

Another 'menteer gave me some Ying Yang french beans. Not sure what they taste like but I thought I'd give them a go.

I've been a bit lax and haven't added plenty of organic material to the soil. Last year I did the bean trench thing with rotting compost. I've got a 'Dalek' compost bin on the top allotment so I'll probably throw some in on my next visit. I also need to get the bean poles rigged up and make it a stronger structure than last year as they leaned over a bit in the strong winds.

The beans I sowed are in the greenhouse

No comments: